Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day race

Distance 8.4km [total: minimalist 132km: Barefoot 765.4km]

Finally after much anticipation my first low key race on the roads with some other keen runners who can get themselves out of bed long before dawn to get to the start line before 6am.

A calm day, overcast as far as I could tell in the dim morning light, about 20C.
A decent turnout of people, most would be running the longer distances of 13.6km and 21km. As it was my first barefoot race I stuck to the 8.4km.
I started at the back and tried to keep the adrenaline under control so I didn't mess up my stride.
I had no problem, the run went much faster than I thought. I had company of a friend of mine for 3/4 of the way around before he peeled off to do the 13.6km.
The feet were fine, as were the calves, it felt quite easy once I fell into a steady rhythm. Not a single cut or blister so I was very pleased with that.

I got home in a time of 48m 32s or 5:47/km, slower than my times of 20 years ago but it's a start. The objective was to get around the course rather than do a record time.
I didn't see any other bare feet around, I think Santa must have had sacks full of new runners for most people.



The feet are black but great, why do they get so dirty though?
Happy Christmas!

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment