Monday, December 27, 2010

4km puff pant

Distance 4km [total: minimalist 132km: Barefoot 777.9km]

Monday, ah holidays, great when you don't have to force yourself out of bed to go to work.
Three days of running, this time a short 4km dash along the beach.
I do need to get a bit more speed into my legs so I decided a shorter but faster paced run was called for.
The jetty to jetty distance is approximately 2km. To set off from cold is always tough and before long I was puffing and blowing. After a kilometre I settled down a bit, the breathing became a bit more even.
I covered the distance in 10m 20s. I did have a bit of a rest when I got to the end. I let my heart rate drop back to under 100 before setting off to cover the same distance again, this time with a tailwind.
My total time was 20m 36s, so, fairly consistent, that would give me an average of 5m 9s per kilometre.
My average heart rate was 140bpm with a max of 150 so I was working between 81% & 87% of my maximum.
As a comparison, my race on Christmas day was far more leisurely with an average of just 109bpm (gee that seems too low) and a max of 148bpm.

If I could keep that pace up I could do a 10km in around 51m
The question is, could I keep up that pace on the road, at the moment the answer would be no, but that is what training is about.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment