Monday, January 18, 2010

Sunday Run

Distance 12km [total: minimalist 44km: Barefoot 226km]

I differed my usual Saturday beach run because my tendons were a little sore from the run on the Friday, by Sunday they felt much better.
About 5 weeks earlier I'd called around to see an old work colleague who now runs a fitness centre, he mentioned that a small group go for a regular run on Sunday mornings at 8am, I thought I'd give it a go and be a bit sociable on one of my runs.

Sunday morning was cool, cloudy and very windy. I got to the beach by 8am and waited around for a familiar face. The group gradually assembled by 8.10am. I was the only shoeless one.
I assumed we would be running along the beach but we stuck to the pavements for a short 4km out and back run.
It was a good test to see if I could keep up with the shoe brigade, I did once I got into a regular rhythm. There was a patch of pavement that had lots of pieces of glass spread over a 30m section, I had to keep my eyes peeled to ensure I didn't land on any.
After the run the group went to seek their reward in the local coffee shop.
I being money less and shoe less said I would have a wade in the water.
I stayed in the water, which was quite warm, despite the strong southerly blowing, for about 20 minutes.

Now for the interesting part.
Every morning when I wake up and get out of bed my tendons are stiff and need about 5 minutes to get them working and can still be stiff during the day.
This time, there was no stiffness at all, not a hint and the only thing I can put it down to is the cold water paddle after the run.
I have seen the footballers doing that after a game, the whole team goes to the beach and stands around in the water (in Winter when the water is much much colder).

Monday:
Out at the beach again tonight, the wind is still blowing strongly from the south and the para sailors are all out on the beach catching the wind.
I ran 8km this evening and once again spent 20 minutes wading through knee deep water to see if it will ward off any stiffness the next day. I shall soon find out.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment