Saturday, January 9, 2010

More heat

Distance 8km [total: minimalist 44km: Barefoot 192km]

Saturday morning and after a late night I manage to push myself out of bed at 6.30am and drink a glass of GlucEvol so I can get out to the beach and run before the heat kicks in.
At 7am the temperature was just perfect at about 22C. The beach was busy with the early morning people taking the dogs out for walks.
It takes me a good while in the mornings to get the strength back into my calves and tendons.
They are still in a transition phase and are tight and rather fragile in the morning so getting out of bed I have to take small steps to ease things back to life.
I decided that there would be no higher tempo running today as earlier in the week, while running 7km along the beach I got the dull ache in the calf so there is still a bit of repair needed.
I'm actually not sure if it is a strain or some kind of cramp and maybe I need more magnesium.
I have been taking magnesium tablets but they ran out around a month ago. I hoped that maybe the magnesium in the Chia seeds would be sufficient.
I will order some more tablets and see if they make any difference.
I felt a slight pain in the calf on this run but eased back and gave it a rub as soon as I felt it.
I managed a good 8km today, nice and easy. Felt warmer by the time I finished and now the temperature is up to 40C outside.
Tomorrow and Monday we are expecting 43C. I need to get more heat training under my belt to acclimatise.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment