Monday, February 3, 2014

Summer slowdown

Distance 52.2km [total: minimalist 329.1km: Barefoot 5768.1km] Week05

Monday, 13-Jan. 10km

The first of the hot days is upon us, forecast to be 40C but actually reaching 42C. This is going to be one unpleasant week. I went for an early morning run although not that early by the time I got out of the house. I got to the beach at 8.30am and found it was quite pleasant, around 18C and calm.There were lots of people out walking and doing exercise before the bulk of the heat arrived in a few hours.
The concrete still felt nice and cool on the soles of the feet and the sun is shaded by the big beachside houses as I run towards West Beach. By the time I am on my return journey the sun will be higher in the sky and I will be feeling a little more drained. The run went well, nice and relaxed.

Monday, 20-Jan. 7km

A beach run today as the ground was a little warm to run on the pavement. Plenty of shelly beach to negotiate today. At one time I would leap up in the air if I stood on sharp shells but now I can just run straight over them.

Wednesday, 22-Jan. 12km

A nice evening run, setting off at 7pm after a light tea. People were out in droves in the warm evening air, walking off their dinners and watching the sun moving slowly to the western horizon. I was feeling good this evening so extended my distance by running along the holiday park just behind the sand dunes. The longer shadows were falling across the path cooling it off from the heat of the day. It's a nice time to run but it means that you have to eat dinner late into the evening which I don't really like. As I have found out, eating before is not a good option.
By the time I got back to the car the sun had dropped below the horizon and left a beautiful sunset it its wake.

Sunday, 26-Jan. 8.2km

Australia Day, they day when everyone gets together for a barbeque and a beer to celebrate being in a decent country and to feel lucky we are not in one of hte many around the world that is being torn apart by war and intolerance.
I had a late night so my lake run was a bit later today and it was to be a warm day of around 34C so already it was in the low 20's as I parked the car. A strong warm northerly breeze was blowing and the flags that had been set up by the barbeque area were fully unfurled.

Monday, 27-Jan 10.5km

Public holiday due to Australia Day falling on a Sunday. I got out for a run early as it would be too warm later on to run on the roads. I put in a good run to the holiday park at West Beach, finishing off with a run through the soft sand from Henley to Grange which was a slow hard slog and really gives the calves a fantastic workout. I still haven't shifted the tendon soreness in my right leg so I need to study some of the rehabilitation exercises to sort it out.

Sunday, 2-Feb. 6.5km

Monthly get together of the Barefoot Running group finds us at the car park at the south end of West Lakes lake. It is 9:00am and already the temperature is around 32C and rising. I moved the start time 30 minutes earlier due to the extreme heat we were due to experience today.
3 of use set off around the lake just after 9am, the concrete path was pleasant to run on, warm but not hot. I had intended to lead the group around the longer course but I was a bit worried that they may not make it. It turned out to be the right decision as they started to feel the effects of the heat in the last kilometre. I felt fine, the heat doesn't seem to trouble me too much except of course when it comes to sleeping at night. The final temperature for the day was 44.8C, a record February temperature. We seem to be breaking quite a few recorss these days.


Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment