Sunday, August 7, 2011

Winter illness

Distance 29.5km [total: minimalist 136.5km: Barefoot 1779.2km] Week 31

Monday, 1-Aug. 5km.
I had to take half a day off work today as I was coughing and sneezing and people basically don't want you around if you are spreading cold virus around the place. I didn't feel too bad when I got up but it did start to become more of a hindrance as the day passed.
The weather was warm and sunny around 22C, I went for a gentle un-timed run along the beach, a no pressure run. My lungs were a bit congested but not too bad. I felt much better after the run.

Wednesday, 3-Aug. 10km.
After a day of sickness (Tuesday)  away from work in which I didn't get out of bed for most of the day because my eyes would start watering as soon as any light got into them. I found it easier just to sleep.
I made it back into work today, still congested in the nose and chest but the eye watering has stopped and the sneezing has abated so that may indicate the more contagious phase has ended.
The day was one of the warmest of the winter so far 25C but a change was on its way. I finished work at 4pm, drove home, got changed and down to the beach by 4.45pm. The tide was in so I ran my 10km road course. I decided to do an easy run, my chest was constricted so I didn't want to cause any problems by over stressing my system. I recorded a time of 57:53m

Saturday, 6-Aug. 14.5km.
Feeling better today, the cold is almost at the end of its cycle. A chilly morning, temperature just over 10C and a light breeze at the beach when I set off. The tide was off its high point by about an hour so there was some fresh sand to run on. The only problem was that the sand was very spongy and quite hard to run through.
The wind began to pick up by the time I'd run half the distance up the beach, 28km/hr with 40km/hr gusts blowing straight at me. I sure was glad to reach the jetty at Semaphore and begin the return journey with the wind behind me. Running on the bitumen path was easier then the beach.
I gave my ankle a little twist on the way back going over the rocky trail but it seemed fine and I had a good burst of speed in the last kilometre back on the beach. I recorded a time of 45:26.9m on the way out and amazingly 45:26.1 on the return.

P.S. I must have hurt my ankle a bit more than I thought as I have a bit of pain and swelling on the inside of the right foot, just below the ankle. I'll try the ice treatment and rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment