Sunday, January 13, 2013

Soleus pain easing

Distance 0km [total: minimalist 285.6km: Barefoot 4083.9km] Week2

Weekly distance 0km

Two weeks into the new year and I have not been for a run yet. I still have some soreness in the soleus muscle, it is gradually getting better but I wouldn't want to put too much strain on it as I feel that it could give way again.
On the Sunday I went to the field across from my house and did some very light runs back and forward, running a total distance of 7 x 100m, I could feel the tightness and was prepared to stop at any sign that it was going to worsen. It didn't and I feel that I have now started on the road back.
I was really enjoying my early morning runs, escaping the heat of the late afternoon. Still, there is another 4 months of Summer/Autumn before we get the real cold weather again and I get to run on the cold sand.
It really is amazing how much I miss barefoot running when I can't get out there and feel the ground beneath my feet. I should be conservative and let the problem heal properly this time.
I think the reason I felt what I thought was tendon soreness in the weeks before my calf went was a sign of weakness in the soleus muscle and how it wasn't controlling my landing correctly, this was then putting a strain on my tendon. Hindsight diagnosis is a wonderful thing.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment