Sunday, November 20, 2011

Slow start

Distance 23km [total: minimalist 256.3km: Barefoot 1917.7km] Week 47
 

Monday, 14-Nov. 4km
Just a short run along the beach. I have a tight left calf since I ran on Saturday. I'm am not going to stretch as it might cause more damage. Its not too bad to run on but makes itself more noticeable as soon as I stop.

Wednesday, 16-Nov. 6km
The calf soreness is still with me and I actually cut the run short this evening as it was irritating me too much. After getting back I tried some trigger point therapy by rolling my calf along a rolling pin, wow that was painful, I must have lots of knots in there. Each time I rolled it onto a painful spot I held the position and tried to relax, relaxing at first makes the pain stronger before it starts to subside.

Friday, 18-Nov. 7km
Well the rolling pin trigger point therapy seems to be working. I have worked most of the stiffness out of my calves. It was a hot day today, getting up to 37C, it would have been a few degrees cooler at the beach maybe around 32C when I went for my run. I had some decent sand to run on, not too soft. The calf felt a lot better but I still have niggling ankle pain. It is not the end of the week and still no sign of my portable ultrasound unit. I shall send an email to the company in the USA to see if they can help me track it down. It would be helpful to know if it was sent by air or by sea, if it is by sea then a month for deliver is common. If it went by air then in must be held up somewhere. If I can find out which city it went to then I may be able to contact the postal service to find out where it is.
I have also purchased a Thera Roll. This is the the thing tat will replace my rolling pin as a treatment aid to get the muscles into shape and iron out the tensions. They are a bit pricey but I hoping it will be money well spent, after all a massage costs around $60 per hour.

Thera Roll - Firm version (purple)


Sunday, 20-Nov. 6km (walk)
A bit of early morning rain woke me up at around 7am, I checked outside, it looked like the rain would be around for a while, but while eating my breakfast, it blew away and was replaced by blue sky and sunshine.
I resisted the temptation to run and instead had a good barefoot walk for an hour, covering around 6km. The ankle felt good but each time I tried a light run on the pavement I could feel some pain return. I really enjoy feeling the surfaces I'm walking on, from smooth to rough, cold to warm and yet all around me people have runners strapped to their feet that are making their feet hot and sweaty and depriving them of any sensation. I just wonder how much landfill has been used in the disposal of all the millions of worn out running shoes, what a waste of resources.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment